Friday, February 23, 2024

Apocalypstick and Tab In/Tab Out - Split (2024)


Artists: Apocalypstick and Tab In/Tab Out

Album: Split ("Take Me Apart" and "Her Heart In My Hand")

Label: Bent Window Records

Year: 2024

Even when I cranked the volume on my headphones, there was still something very relaxing about both tracks on the split, 25-minute side-spanning harsh noise walls that offer serenity and a sense of rebirth, reticence, and control. 

My experience with the album is influenced by the cover art by Kyndra Lee, of a disembodied, bloodied heart held between two hands, which juxtaposes two potentially conflicting emotions--violence and love. Despite the macabre nature, the gesture depicted exudes affection and tenderness. Perhaps because of this, I also heard in the two pieces here a binary between potentially conflicting poles, between construction and destruction. The duality of the art suggests reinterpreting the titles of the works: Apocalypstick's "Take Me Apart" and Tab In/Tab Out's "Her Heart In My Hand." Rather than acts of violence and destruction, perhaps these are songs of reconstruction, of completion, of compassion. 

"Take Me Apart" sounds like digital rain, or eggs cracking, reinforcing a sense of nature and (re)birth. On "Her Heart In My Hand" I was really struck by the left-right mixing balance and the interior architecture of the piece that Tab-In/Tab-Out achieved, so much that I took out my earbuds and listened to the tonal differences one side at a time before putting them both in together and letting the 360-sense sink back in.

Overall, I admired the overarching sense of equilibrium and calm, and the focused sets of tones and frequencies, on both tracks.

https://bentwindowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tab-in-tab-out-apocalypstick

No comments:

Post a Comment